| Main | About | FAQ | Gallery | Fanart | Templates | Links | Store | CCP Blog | Guestbook |
The primary reason is readability. The original templates are filled in with pencil and do not scan well. By re-typing, it makes it easier to enjoy the comic. Another reason is privacy: several kids will put their full names on their comics. When I retype, I only provide the first name and the age, keeping the identity of the individual child hidden.
I re-type the comics as close to the originals as I can, preserving all typos and mistakes as they were. I even try my best to emulate text layout and will occasionally replicate a doodle or a special coloring (such as if a kid has colored the eyes of a character red). I've found that staying as close to the originals as possible helps preserve a lot of the charm that goes into reading these.
Not all. Many students take home comics to finish or blank templates; I rarely ever see these. The majority of comics produced, however, I do manage to get ahold of to post here. One exception is comics that are nothing but scribbles - some kids will just take a crayon and draw over a template as they think.
There are several subdivisions that I sort the comics into. The first is date: I try my best to post the comics in chronological order by session. That's why under the comic number you'll see a month, day, and year - this is the date the comic was created.
Next, I separate the comics into two piles: those for posting and normal comics. Comics for posting are those that students have given to me with the intention that they be displayed in the library on a special CCP bulletin board. They represent comics that the students are most proud of and want to show off. Normal comics are simply those that the students didn't bother to take home with them.
The last grouping method is by template / story. That's why you'll see a string of four or five of the same template posted in a row.
In the first two weeks, I collected over 100 comics. I collected 1272 comics from the regular sessions, 378 from the workshops, and 363 from the tournament. The final tally all together was 2003 (!) comics.
For a more detailed look into the inner workings of the CCP, read the Create a Comic Project Blog.